Password for Root Directory in Pistar

Question :
I need the password to access the Root directory in the Pistar system.
I've tried all the usual like pistar, raspberry and password.

Answer :

You can easily become root by using ssh to establish a terminal session to your pi-star device and when logged in, you can simply issue sudo su -

The prompt will change from $ to #.

List the root dir
CODE: SELECT ALL
sudo ls /root
Edit existing or create a new file
CODE: SELECT ALL
sudo nano /root/file.txt
or for the mavericks who like to live on the wild side
become root with:
CODE: SELECT ALL
sudo su -

Question ::
When I try to log in using SSH, it does not accept the password that I use to log into the dashboard as administrator, any ideas what I am doing wrong? Thanks

Answer :::
Are you using ssh from the expert mode?
If not what ssh client are you using?
If using a 3rd party ssh client, are you entering the username pi-star?

I used both window' 10 openshh and putty, both cases Pi-Star asked for the pass word, but it said it was incorrect, but the same password I used to connect tot he dashboard as administrator. It was strange that as I typed the password, nothing came up on the screen.

Case is important, are you using the correct case for the name and the password?
https://forum.pistar.uk/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=318


username  :   pi-star
password  :   the same password I used to connect tot he dashboard as administrator


Pi-Star Users Support Group
https://groups.io/g/PiStar
****** share this with others *******

1 comment:

  1. The reason ssh won't take the same password even though it works in the Admin Panel, is that the password in ssh mode won't accept special characters like # or *. I had the same issue as you with pi-star and wasted too much time figuring that out on this end. I haven't gone through them all to see which don't work, I know "!" works. The Admin Page should add "Do not use special characters like ..."

    ReplyDelete